Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Oscar Niemeyer



Oscar Niemeyer is a famous architect from Brasil. He is 101 years old and still designs buildings from his office in Rio de Janeiro. He married his most recent wife when he was 98, and she 63.


I don't have to tell you that some people are born great. We all, in fact, have greatness in us. Some are able to recognize, understand, and act on that greatness, abetting its materialization, for the world to see and appreciate. I was fortunate enough to visit one of his museums in Curitiba, nicknamed "eye" and was literally blown away by its shape, size, vision (no pun intended) and unbelievably creative design. Indeed, there is nothing else like it in this world.


Just as those who appreciate a fine painting or sculpture, I appreciate fine architecture. I would go so far as to say that when I see a beautifully designed and constructed building, it stirs something inside. As a child, I remember seeing pictures of Niemeyer's creations in Brasilia, and even then, I wanted badly to someday travel to that city to see those places close up. While in Brasil, I should have done that, but I didn't. I assure you, though, on my next trip, it will definitely be on my list of things to do.


Til Then, Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment