Sunday, August 2, 2009

My First Shopping Trip in Brasil

Some memories of my first trip to Brasil are etched forever in my mind. One such memory is the first time I went shopping in Brasil for clothing. Upon arrival in Brasil, I noticed that the women were wearing very colorful fashion tops with their jeans, and I wanted to see if I could find something for me in that style. In my mind’s eye, I knew what I was looking for, and so, when the opportunity presented itself, I began my search.

My husband and I were in a small shopping center with his mother, brother, sister, brother-in-law and two nieces. We were all window shopping when I saw a shop that I wanted to go into. Have you ever seen those clever graphics on some internet pages where the mouse is set up to have a group of something follow it as it makes its way across the page? Like if you are on a site that talks about honey bees, a swarm of bees follows your mouse pointer’s every move?

Anyway, that’s what it reminded me of. As I turned to go into the store, everyone just changed the direction in which they were headed and followed me into the store. I went to the first rack, they went to the first rack. I pulled out a blouse, they pulled out a blouse. I went into the dressing room (a curtained area in a corner of the store), they went into the dressing room. I yelled, they all stopped.

No, seriously, I didn’t yell. I was too surprised to yell. Charles told them in Portuguese to back off and they did. All of them except his mother. She stayed like she belonged there, going about the task of handing me tops that she personally thought would look great on me and waiting for me to try them on. Once we got it straightened out, I was left alone to try on the tops by myself and the family went about their business outside the store. I can’t help but think that I hurt their feelings that day. They were so eager to share in my shopping experience and I was too wrapped up in modesty to understand and thank them for their help.

I’m no less modest today but I do know enough in Portuguese to personally thank them as I gently nudge them out of the dressing room.

'Til Later, Tchau.

No comments:

Post a Comment